head on a stick

I am interested in experiences, thinking, and language (visual and literary), and how we create our identity though the things we reveal and conceal. I share my own categories of books, thoughts about personal readings, films, studio practice, and observations/musings.

02 March 2009

it's about time

Greetings everyone,
This was a post I drafted almost a year ago, funny it almost relates to now. I am just busier. Enjoy!
Last year:

It's a winter wonderland, we are buried in snow on another Monday. I haven't blogged since summer, as my teaching responsibilities, community services, and a few exhibits have kept me very busy. I am learning a great deal about how to navigate personalities, politics, perspectives, and gaps of the unknown. Life drawing took a break in winter as drawing room geared up for an exciting exhibit at Jameson Gallery, who hosted us this year very generously. We represented many artists and twenty-nine of them from age 10 to age 65 and up sold works in variety of mediums and formats on the theme of "gathering". The holidays took over shortly after. Hardly space to breathe, and the next semester began, and I was asked to participate in The Funnies at Whitney Art Works, which had its run this past month. Everyone here is thriving, and laying low.

I began a review of Burn After Reading, and have yet to finish that, and will post it as soon as I do.
I am writing a piece on the work of Shephard Fairy, whose exhibit is in the Boston ICA until August.

One thing I really enjoy about teaching is being near to what students are thinking about, or not thinking about. Many are investigating subjects I grew up with that seem unresolved: inequality and discrimination, the depletion and pollution of our natural resources and environment, economic recession, oil politics, Mideast conflicts and war, and the benefits of going green and farming/eating organic. These are decades old!

How can we tell truths to one another, be beacons of light to lead the way for one another, and speak with words that heal and guide,





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home