head on a stick

I am interested in experiences, thinking, and language (visual and literary), and how we create our identity though the things we reveal and conceal. I share my own categories of books, thoughts about personal readings, films, studio practice, and observations/musings.

11 July 2008


dream: dreamt of a large, long cat whisker

My days have been full with art and teaching and social interactivity. I am thinking about many issues and ideas from lines and journeys to how people learn, observe, and think. Yesterday I imagined an ongoing project of a teacher's diary: photograph myself each morning, write down what I taught, what I ate, what I learned, challenges and obstacles with students, and what students are excited about, or complain about. Could a nice long project, life long. I am collaborating with my friend Susan on drawings, and we are sending them back and forth. Tis is one drawing I did and overlapped with another before sending them to her to work on and use.

I am challenging my own perceptions, tendencies, and inclinations. I am more present and in the moment, soaking everything in. 
My brain piece is finished and installed in York at the George Marshall Store. I was invited by Gail Spaien to collaborate and contribute a piece to be on view for six or so days on the theme of "Garden Archive", and there are always two artists in rotation who exhibit with her beautiful work. It is quite an honor and privilege to be a part of this amazing creation, and her generosity and thought is remarkable, making art and art making more interesting and interactive.

 I placed two drawings of brains, right and left, above a disassembled child's spring mattress where I embedded seed packets with titles and authors' names from books I have and have been influenced by. The small drawer on the side contains extra packets with titles for visitors to take with them in the spirit of community and exchange.  Glassine is archival and used to wrap paintings. It seems fragile, but I treated it roughly, stitched into it with colored thread and assembled a variety of poached and invented images on one brain (right brain) and text with a girl meandering through the words on the left brain. The text is freely associative writing about the garden and its meaning, as well as my experience of it. 

Now I am wrapping up a week of fashion illustration for teenagers, and will post a few drawings soon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home